1.16.2014

Chocolate Pudding Pie



























The first time I had this pie was on Christmas Eve with my hubby's family, many years ago. Maybe even one of our first Christmases as a married couple. I will be forever grateful to them for introducing me to it. It is super yummy!



I got the recipe from my sister-in-law and it was called "Black Forest Pie". However, this is not your traditional Black Forest Pie, which is layered with cake, whipped cream and cherries. This is a layered pudding pie with a nutty shortbread-like crust, cream cheese base, topped with real whipped cream. YUM!



























THEN, a few months ago, I came across a recipe on Pinterest called "Better than Robert Redford" Pie. "That's an interesting name for a pie", I thought. I clicked on it and low and behold, it was the Black Forest Pie recipe my SIL gave me! I don't know where the recipe originated, but I know that it goes by many different names. And now, I'm giving it another name...Chocolate Pudding Pie. I've adapted the recipe to our liking and think the name is fitting.

So now that you know the back-story, here's the recipe:


INGREDIENTS:

Crust
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. chopped pecans
Layer 1
1/2 c. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 c. whipped topping (such as Cool Whip)
Layer 2
1 (3.4 oz) box chocolate pudding
2 c. milk
Layer 3
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
milk or dark chocolate bar, for garnish (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
To make the crust, place flour, butter and pecans in a bowl. Using your fingers or a spatula, mix well.
Press into greased 8x8 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until it just starts to brown. Let cool.
Meanwhile, in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together cream cheese and powdered sugar; mix in whipped topping. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk; set aside.
Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until it reaches stiff peaks.
To assemble, spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust. Then spread pudding on top of cream cheese mixture. Top with whipping cream and chocolate shavings*.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

*To shave chocolate, take a vegetable peeler to the chocolate bar and run it along the long sides of the chocolate bar.

I know the list looks long, but believe me, it's very simple to put together. 

Enjoy!

No comments: