12.03.2013

$10 Meals: Taco Casserole

I'm extending my budget-friendly dinner posts into December, since there are still some that I want to share.

A few weeks ago, I posted my lasagna soup and today I'm sharing my Taco Casserole recipe, which I call "Lazy Taco Tuesday". This is a recipe that I've posted before, but it deserves a repost, because it is definitely budget-friendly and is a popular dish with our family. Enjoy!




























INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 c. crushed tortilla chips (.50)
1 lb. ground beef or turkey (average of $4)
1 envelope taco seasoning (.50)
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans ($1)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($1)
Toppings: shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, guacamole, sour cream, salsa (prices vary)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Pour crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of an 8x8 dish. Set aside.
Brown ground beef until no longer pink; drain.
Add taco seasoning and amount of water required by package directions.
Add refried beans to seasoned meat and mix over medium heat.
Once the meat and bean mixture is heated through, removed from heat and spoon over the tortilla chips.
Top with cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with your favorite toppings.

So the main casserole, without toppings, comes in around $7. That leaves about $3 for your toppings, which is totally do-able. 

Happy Tuesday friends!

No comments: