Over the weekend we had an impromptu dinner party with some friends and I needed a good and quick dessert. I had all the ingredients for this so, I made it before our guests arrived and popped it in the fridge. Easy peasy.
You really can't go wrong with this recipe...puffy and light crust with pudding, bananas, whipped cream and topped with chocolate. What's not to love? And it's served cold so it's perfect for those last few summer nights.
Banana Cream Puff Bars
adapted from The Pampered Chef
1 c. water
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
1 c. flour
2 c. cold milk
2 (3.4 oz) pkg. banana cream pudding
1 (8 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
4 bananas, sliced
Sweetened Whipped Cream, recipe follows
1/2 c. semi-sweet baking chocolate*, chopped or shaved
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees.
2. For crust: bring butter and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add flour and stir until the mixture forms a ball and leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Once all eggs are added and mixture is smooth, spread evenly into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Crust will puff up unevenly. Using a fork, poke the crust to release the steam. Bake for 5 more minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let cool.
3. For filling: Add milk to a mixing bowl. Add pudding mixes and whisk until thick, about 2 minutes. Fold in the whipped topping. Spread pudding over cooled crust. Layer sliced bananas over pudding.
4. For topping: Evenly spread sweetened whipped cream over bananas and top with chopped chocolate. *sometimes I use chocolate chips if I don't have the baking chocolate squares.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Cut into 16 squares.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
1 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. confectioner's sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
In an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip cold cream. When it starts to thicken, add sugar and vanilla. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
Thanks for stopping by to check out bebe a la mode designs' blog! I'm excited to share with you things that I'm working on. I enjoy blogging about parties, kids, crafts, recipes and the everyday shenanigans of a mama of 3.